Monday, March 27, 2006

It's a small world...

As I headed down the escalator toward the baggage claim area in Manchester Airport Saturday evening, a man walking behind me asked, "Do you do a lot of editing?"

Apparently he and his seatmate had seen me grading papers on the plane. I told them I teach journalism and PR writing classes at San Jose State, and, yes, I do a lot of editing.

"Well, you're talking to a couple of ex-newsmen," he said, adding that he'd been an editor at a newspaper in San Diego. The other man, Jerry Ackerman, said he'd been an editor at the Boston Globe.

Hmm, my journalism professor when I attended UNH was a former Boston Globe reporter. Did he happen to know Andrew Merton? He did. In fact, Merton used to work for him.

I hope to catch up with Merton while I'm in New Hampshire this week (I'll need a break from helping clean out my parent's house) and if I do, I'll pass on a hello from Jerry Ackerman.

5 comments:

Jess Ann Mao said...

It seems as though many people in this world are somehow connected with one another. If only we all could muster up the courage to say something, anything to someone who sparks some interest in us like these gentlemen did. If we were to take that chance, how far could we go in life? Yes, there are a lot of frauds out there but with every great reward comes a certain level of risk. Who knows, that person next to us of a flight could be our link to fame, love, glory, or a story. Those who are not afraid to take risks in this world are the ones who will go far. The proportio of our lives is set by our courage.

Jess Ann Mao said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ghebreab said...

I agree it’s is a small world because I myself has had a helping shove towards some doors because either by luck or faith that someone happen to be there when I needed them. I’ve honestly meet incredible people who have dropped “knowledge” on me from majors that I wanted to pursue or the way I was going about it. These people are complete strangers and when they happen to stand next to me they have the urge to start a conversation and from there it becomes exchanges of ideas or something just to take back home with. I’m always open for ideas and friendly conversations and wherever I go I happen to run into them. I’ve meet nurses, journalist, photographers and a women with a MBA in communication. All these professions I’ve once considered pursuing sometime down the road and finally picked two as majors. I really have to say It’s a small world after all.

Jeannette M. said...

Stories like this remind me of how grateful I am that teachers provide us with guest speakers in our classes. One thing that seems to remain the same in our ever-changing world is the importance of who you know and the connections you have. Without those things, life is much harder. Building lasting relationships now will prove to be beneficial later in life. As unfair as it may seem, that's life. People climb the latter of success either by being extraordinarily unique and invaluable or by connections. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that success is often a battle and who you know could be the edge that helps win the war.

Anonymous said...

So did you ever see Andy and pass on my hello? The moral of this story, of course, is to keep your mouth shut when walking through strange airports! ;-)

Jerry