Sunday, January 15, 2006

Fun at MacWorld '06

Going to MacWorld is just plain fun. Hordes of Mac afficionnados gathered in the bowels of Moscone Center to ooh and ahh over new computers, software, iPod accessories and other swell gadgets.

Here's what I came home with:
  • Cable yoyo, a handy little device for corralling power cords (wish I'd got several)
  • Belkin TuneTies, a silicon figure "8" for stashing iPod earbuds and cables
  • Visual QuickProject books from PeachPit Press on Adobe InDesign (which I use) and Dreamweaver 8 (which I plan to get). Feel free to ask me for a loan.
  • Robin Williams' guide to Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, and Scott Kelby's book on Tiger Killer Tips (I plan to upgrade soon)
  • A green Chums flip case for my iPod (I like my pink one, but I want better access to the scroll wheel), and a lime green aluminum iPod carrying case (I know, it's overkill...but it was really cute and only $11).
  • Drive Genius, software for maintaining your hard drive
  • A software three-fer: Intego's Net Barrier, VirusBarrier and Personal Back-up (can you tell this is the year I've decided to get serious about computer security and maintenance?)
  • A big pile of handouts on more interesting software, equipment and gadgets

Here's what I coveted:
  • The new MacBook Pro laptop...faster, thinner, lighter...what's not to like?
  • iLife '06...iPhoto has more oomph and Garageband now supports podcasting.
  • SavetheiPods, a clear protective covering for iPods (they ran out...I plan to order it)
  • Browseback, software for saving and searching your browser history, and saving web pages as PDFs for future reference
  • Delicious Library, software for easily cataloging music, software, movie and book collections

No comments: