Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Bad blogger!

Yeah, that's me. A bad blogger.

Reading the really excellent blogging advice offered on Ryan Sholin's latest brainstorm, the Wired Journalists network -- in response to the question, "What advice would you offer a journalist looking to start their own blog?" -- made me realize what a bad blogger I am.

I post irregularly. I started this blog with a focus...info related to my classes, targeted to my students...but I got tired of being focused and tired of censoring myself. I mean, periodically Bush does something so appalling that I just wanna rant. And you can't do that on a blog you're asking students to read.

I decided it was my blog, it has my name on it, and I could do whatever I wanted with it. So I did. I also started keeping separate class blogs.

Now I write about whatever strikes my fancy, whenever I have the time and the inspiration. I don't worry about readership, because I'm mostly writing for my own entertainment and satisfaction.

Of course, my personal blog is not my only blog. I maintain blogs for my classes (such as this one for my online news writing class) and contribute to the J-School's blogs (both of which I started). So I end up doing quite a bit of blogging...it's just kind of spread around and unfocused...kind of like me.

No comments: